Internship Opportunity: Communications & Marketing
St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church
14 M Street, SE
St. Vincent de Paul (SVdP) is a parish in the Navy Yard neighborhood in Washington, DC, serving those who live, work, and visit the Navy Yard and Southwest Waterfront communities. St. Vincent de Paul is unique on many fronts, notably in that the parish, through our marketing and social media efforts, made the front page of the Washington Post sports section in 2014.
The parish seeks a self-starter and motivated intern for communications and marketing efforts, particularly with social media. The intern will assist with, and enhance, the outreach and mission of the parish, for the edification of the Body of Christ and to increase the sense of Christian identity in the neighborhood.
The intern will have a great opportunity to gain such experience in, and for, a Catholic organization while seeing the direct impact of their work, with the possibility of creating posts that go viral within Catholic and local communities. Creative and innovative use of new media is encouraged.
College credit is possible; please review your school’s policy.
- Develop, create, manage and/or execute editorial calendar for social and print media
- Work on content development for the SVdP website
- Update, create dynamic content, and maintain SVdP’s social media presence, including on Facebook and Twitter
- Draft occasional informational ‘blurbs’ for Archdiocesan Office of Young Adults newsletter
- Collaborate with the team on specific communication needs
- Investigate and suggest avenues to reach our constituents
- Seek overall opportunities to improve outreach and communication methods and give recommendations to appropriate parties
- Design flyers, graphics, and other marketing material
- May be asked to attend some Mass(es) or parish event(s), depending on the intern’s availability and parish need
- May be asked to attend Archdiocesan Young Adult Leader’s meeting, depending on intern’s availability, interest, and parish need, in order to collaborate and network with leaders
- Working toward a college degree in the Liberal Arts
- Self-motivated, detail-orientated, ability to prioritize, and meet weekly deadlines
- An effective communicator, both written and oral, with the ability to offer constructive advice to the team
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with press and community contacts
- Firm grasp of available social media tools and platforms
- Basic understanding of graphic design and best-practices
- Good understanding of the Catholic faith with an eagerness to grow in their faith
- Enthusiasm to share the Good News (( #NewEvangelization ))
- Enthusiasm for the mission of SVdP, the parishioners, and the community we serve
- Knowledge of –OR– college major in –OR– coursework in: marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, and/or religion/theology
- Knowledge of –OR– ability to learn: “live tweeting”, basic HTML, PicMonkey or equivalent, Hootsuite, Asana, SoundCloud, Facebook Ads, Google Adwords
- Previous job, volunteering, internship and/or experience (need not relate to this internship) is a plus
- Freshmen and Sophomores who exhibit strong motivation are most welcome to apply
- This is an unpaid internship
January 2, 2015, or until position is filled. We welcome interest in subsequent semesters or during the summer, please email and include this information in your cover letter.
Start Date and Hours:
The internship will begin at the start of the Spring Semester with a commitment of 8-12 hours/week, primarily working remotely. Onsite work and meetings will be scheduled as needed and/or helpful for the intern’s development and the parish’s need. Hours may be adjusted for college credit purposes.
Send cover letter and resume to:
Mrs. Katherine Abbott
katherine [dot] abbott [at] live [dot] com
Please put “SVdP Intern Application” in the subject line.
St. Vincent de Paul